Barnegat Soccer Club
Constitution and By-laws
Adopted January 31, 1977
Article 1 (Name)
- This organization shall be known as Barnegat Soccer Club.
- It is a non-profit organization.
Article 2 (Objectives)
- To promote and organize the game of soccer.
- To encourage the spirit of fair play and sportmanship.
- To organize teams for the welfare and physical fitness of children in
Barnegat Township and surrounding areas.
Article 3 (Membership and Affiliations)
- Voting Members:
- Shall be 18 years of age or over.
- Shall be a resident of Barnegat or surrounding areas.
- Coaches and referees that meet requirements #1 and #2 shall each have a
vote regardless of whether or not they have a child in the club.
- Each voting member shall have one and only one vote.
- The voting member must have a child registered in the Barnegat Soccer
Club and meet requirements #1 and #2 or have been a past voting member.
- Members must attend at least three (3) general open meetings in the
previous fiscal year July-June before voting for election of officers in the
yearly election meeting.
- A sign-in sheet is to be kept at each meeting and submitted to the
Article 4 (Officers)
- The chain of command of the club shall be:
- Vice-President in charge of traveling.
- Executive Vice-President in charge of Intramurals.
- Recording Secretary.
- Director of Education.
- Social Affairs Director.
- Must be a Voting Member and have attended three (3) meetings within the
last twelve months.
- Any officer who resigns for any reason cannot run for any office until
twelve months are completed. Exceptions can be made with a two-thirds vote of
- Two people from the same family can be on the board only if:
- No other nominees.
- Voted in with a majority vote of the membership.
Article 5 (Duties of Officers)
- Shall preside at all meetings of the Club.
- Shall vote only when necessary to break a voting
deadlock.Vice-President in charge of traveling.
- Is empowered to co-sign all Club checks.
- Vice-President in charge of traveleing:
- Shall perform all duties in the absence of the President.
- Is empowered to co-sign Club checks in the absence of the President.
- Will chair a nominating committee to be formed two (2) months prior to
election. Candidates for office will be read at the following meeting and the
- Executive Vice-President in charge of Intramurals:
- Scheduling of intramural games.
- Rosters for team coaches and selection of children.
- Scheduling of roster for tournaments if applicable.
- Final say in all matters at intramural fields. In the absence of
Executive Vice-President of Intramural, another present board member can make
final decision to resolve any disputes.
- Recording Secretary:
- Shall keep an accurate account of all Club meetings.
- Shall maintain the attendance roster.
- Shall attend to all correspondence and turn same over to President.
- Shall read all correspondence at regular meetings.
- Shall make a copy of the minutes of all meetings for each Executive
- Shall be responsible for insurance matters.
- Shall be responsible for security permission for practice fields.
- Shall collect and deposit monies into an approved bank of this Club.
- Has the authority to co-sign with the President or Vice-President all
approved checks for the benefit of the Club.
- Monthly Treasurer's Report to be read at regular monthly meetings.
- Present yearly accountant's report at election meeting.
- The Treasurer's authorized signature shall appear in all Club's checks.
- Shall provide a year to date report monthly.
- Shall keep and maintain accurate records of all children registered in
the Barnegat Soccer Club.
- Schedule and co-ordinate registration dates.
- Be responsible for all Club purchases and properties.
- Will keep an up-to-date inventory of ame at all times.
- Will schedule Board Members and/or committee concession members to
oversee the concession stand during season.
- Will obtain schedule from intramural and traveling teams from
Vice-President for parents to work the concession stand.
- Will be at stand when open or have some other qualified committee member
- Director of Education:
- Reponsibilities include:
- New coach orientation.
- Develop and implement training cources for all levels of coaches.
- Offer varius youth skill development for intramural programs both in
season and off season for all age levels.
- Make availabe to all parents a basic Soccer Education Program -
including rules, regulations, and terminology.
- Any of the above mentioned programs can be done either indoors or
- All programs must be Board approved.
- Shall be responsible for distribution and recovery of all equipment
from coaches and teams.
- Shall organize a summer camp when applicable.
- Social Affairs Director:
- All team fundraisers must be channeled through this director and
approved by the Board.
- At the start of each season explain to the team mothers their
responsibilities and availabe opportunities (monthly club meetings, field days,
team parties, concession work, 50/50, etc.) to the member representing each
- Organizing and running any Club Sponsored Programs including a 4 year
old tournament game, Founders Day activities, etc.
- Must organize on Soccer Club fund raiser per season.
- Shall chair annual awards ceremony.
- Shall organize team photos for spring and fall season.
Article 6 (Terms of Office)
- Terms of office for all officers shall be for twelve months, but a term of
six (6) months for January through June.
- Vacancy for President will automatically be filled by the Vice-President.
- No officer can hold the same office for more than two (2) consecutive
twelve (12) month terms, unless no other nominees.
- The election of all officers shall take place at the regular June
Article 7 (Meetings)
- Annual meeting in June for election of officers, effective June 1992.
- Regular meetings to be determined by officers at the beginning of each
- Special meetings for Executive Board can be called by the President of
- Parliamentary Procedure shall govern the Club in all cases where
applicable. (Roberts Rule of Order) copy which will be at each meeting.
- A quorum shall consist of at least six (6) voting members.
- Each meeting limited not to exceed 2 hours for general open meetings.
- Important issues shall be discussed at one (1) meeting and voted at the
- If time is of the essence, a special meeting can be called by the
President. The special meeting must be no sooner than twenty four (24) hours
after any previous meeting.
- Those on the attendance sheet at prior meeting shall be contacted.
- All board members not on the attendance sheet are also eligible to
attend the special meeting and vote.
- All general membership meetings shall follow a formal agenda.
Article 8 (Committees)
- The President shall appoint all committee Chairpersons.
- Chairperson shall pick their own committee members.
- The President shall be an ex-office member of all committees.
- Chairperson shall give oral reports at regulary monthly meetings.
Article 9 (Rules and Regulations)
- The rules and regulations governing the organization, promotion and
management of the Club shall be those prescribed and voted on by voting
membership at all meetings. A copy will be availabe at all meetings.
Article 10 (Order of Business)
- The order of business for each meeting of this Club shall be as follows:
- Roll Call
- Reading and Approval of Minutes
- Treasurer's Report and Approval of Bills
- Reading of communications
- Committee Reports
- Unfinished Business
- New Business
Article 11 (Amendments)
- Amendments to the Constitution and By-Laws may be proposed at regular
meeting and voted on at the next meeting. A two-thirds majority of the voting
members present shall be required for the passage of any amendment.
Article 12 (Resignation of Officers of the Board)
- Upon resignation of a board member, the vacancy will be filled at the
following open meeting:
- The members of the board have first right for the position by order of
- If no board members wish to fulfill the vacancy, the vacancy will be
announced at the next general open meeting. Open floor nominations will be
accepted. Nominations accepted and voted on at the following general open
Article 13 (Tournaments)
- The club will pay entrance fees for one tournament per team per roster
year for a traveling or intramural team up to a maximum of $275.00 The team is
responsible to provide their own transportation. The league patches will also
be provided by the club. Offical notice of upcoming tournaments to be
presented to the club prior to check being issued for tournament.
Article 14 (Traveling Teams) Suspended 7/1/98
- Will be selected by the board. See criteria following:
- Selection of coaches - criteria to include but not limited to:
- Coaching experience and licenses.
- Coaches' history with club.
- Availability to attend practices, meetings, and games.
- Attitude and behavior towards children.
- If above criteria are met by more than one candidate, preference given
to parent of child on team.
- Coach shall coach only one (1) team except in extreme hardship,
subject to two-thirds board approval.
- Assistant coach will be selected by head coach and approved by the board.
- The board reserves the right to remove a coach and/or assistant coach
for just and sufficient cause. The removal will only follow an interview
between the coach, team parents and the board members and can be made only by
two-thirdds majority vote of all board members. The coaches' and/or parents'
failure to appear at said interview to which they had been sufficiently
notified and invited, shall be considered to waive that prerquisite to a
- Must be registered prior to tryouts and will be selected at a tryout
held on two separate days (candidates must appear on one day) by a panel of
three (3) judges chosen by the coach with board approval. A board member will
be present but will not judge.
- Panel selects sixteen (16) highest scores from tryout. The lowest three
(3) of the sixteen (16) may be dropped from the team if the coach wishes to use
his three (3) discretionary selections.
- The coach and panel shall determine the criteria for tryouts subject to
the board's approval.
- Players must play in their proper age bracket, except:
- If no team exists in that player's bracket, the player is eligible to
try out for the next older available bracket.
- Hardship requests submitted in writing to the board may be granted by
two-thirds majority vote.
- Any player already playing on an existing traveling team, which
continues to exist will be eligible to try out for that team regardless of age
bracket. Continuous play on that team allows said player to continue to try
out for the same team from year to year. Any season missed by reason of not
trying out or failure to make the team, will compel said player to lose
eligibility to continue to play out of proper age bracket.
- No carded player shall be eligible to play on a team in our Micro,
Lower, Upper, or Intermediate Program.
- Club colors are green and gold. All uniforms are to be predominantly
- All uniform purchases are subject to prior approval of the board.
- Any existing away uniforms which may not meet these criteria can
continue to be worn until their next uniform purchase.
- A team's failure to comply with above criteria will result in their
suspension from the club and loss of registration fees.
- Fund Raisers:
- All teams' fund raisers require prior board approval with notification
back to the team within forty eight (48) hours.
- Monies raised are to be placed in club field account under that team's
- Field account money will be disperesed by Club Treasurer.
- Any team is eligible for canshakes, with a maximum of two (2) (per
roster year) with a maximum of two (2) locations per day.
- New Travel Teams:
- In the event of two (2) board approved coaches:
- Any new traveling team, with a minimum of thirty two (32) players,
will be divided by talent into two (2) teams, by a point system on an odd-even
split basis. Players will be ranked by talent from 1-32 with one (1) being the
most skilled and thirty two (32) the least. One team will consist of all odd
number players, and the other team of all the even number players.
- Coach and assistant coach are allowed to pick their own child as first
Article 15 (Education and Training)
- The Club will reimburse:
- Any Barnegat Soccer Club coach who attends and passes an F Level Coaches
- Any person who attends and passes an 8 Level Referee License course, and
only the course, not the license, the Club will reimberse the cover fee for
those who pass.
Article 16 (Coaches)
- Coaches will receive a voucher good for one registration fee for the fall
and spring season provided they attend four (4) meetings per season.